Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Underwater in Quartz Lake


For the first time since purchasing my underwater camera, I live near a body of water that holds more than two cubic feet of water (about how big our spring in Sheldon was). Quartz Lake , where I live now, is 200some feet deep and has plenty of room for swimming. It is also cold, so I donned a drysuit, mask and snorkel before heading in. There is a logjam at the outlet of the lake, and all the logs are good fish habitat. At first, I scared all the fish thrashing about and unable to swim properly due to a large bubble of air in my drysuit which made it impossible to put my feet down. But when I stopped moving, the fish seemed to mistake me for a floating log and swim right up to me.

Small westslope cutthroat trout. Had a few bigger ones for dinner last week.Redside shiner (different than the red shiners I eradicated in Utah). You may notice that its side is not red at all. Apparently the name does make sense though, they are redsided when in breeding colors.

Lake whitefish.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Fish nerd.

Jan said...

don't start that. you know its way easier to make fun of birders than fish squeezers.