Saturday, June 16, 2007

Mountains and Lakes


The other day I hiked this mountain, which had lovely views and also and awesome name. The entire mountain burned in a forest fire decades ago…any normal person would have named it burning mountain or flame peak or something, but it was not named by normal people. It was named by scientists! They named it Bunsen Peak, because it reminded them of a giant Bunsen burner. Awesome.

Many of the trails out here are well built, with switchbacks, level grades, and boardwalks, to the the point where it’s not that difficult to hike them. It’s a change from the White Mountains, where the prevailing trail building theory seems to be go strait up the rock strewn ridge/gully/stream. Here, on Avalanche Peak, I finally found a real trail, complete with rocks and roots, steepness, erosion, and scrambly gravel. And cute fat marmots. And snowfields to hike up, slide down, and make me wish I had my skis.

And here is the lake I work on. I set hair snares and collect otter scats, and getting to the sites involes a lot of driving around the lovely scenic lake in our boat.

2 comments:

Jewels said...

Hi Jan,

How great that you get to work at Yellowstone? How long will you be there? Did your Dad put you up to getting the Vernor's and forget about your bike up top?

BillsfanBob said...

Nice Blog, Jan. Cool scenery. But you know, Squirrels can kill people too. One well-placed nut to the temple and it's all over... I was just at the WI mighty Miss. this week, too, but no hand stand. Unlce Bob