Friday, March 13, 2009

New Hampshire to Wyoming, part two

Just as I did two years ago, I loaded up my car and drove west for 4 days or so, making several stops along the way. The first day involved navigating tolls and traffic to get to Baltimore and visit Karen. Upon arrival, I had the misfortune to park under a tree that was home to a pair of robins, who proceeded to make a mess upon my car. The rest of the weekend was good though, I saw several art shows, sewed things with Karen, and we drove through this somewhat sketchy neighborhood (where scenes from crime show "the Wire" are often shot) to reach an amazing asian supermarket, full of wonderful things like barley tea, seaweed snacks, and whole fish.

I headed west, crossed the applalachians through Maryland and West Virginia, and visited a cousin in Cincinnati. But next came the long, long drive across the plains.... Here totoro poses in front of a Kansas wheat field.
Finally, the Rocky Mountains came into view, and I went up to steamboat springs to go skiing with Kirsten. Skiing, I got to flounder around in the relatively deep snow, ski a chute steep enough that when I fell it wasn't very far to the ground, and experience a ski town so resorty and ritzy that you end up next to a woman wearing a mink coat on the shuttle bus. My car also had some issues while in steamboat, and we had to push it down the street to get it into an overnight lot so it wouldn't get mauled by a snowplow overnight.
Now I am at a field camp in Wyoming, watching the sage grouse lek, driving ATVs around, and hoping our heater at camp doesn't break again. Below, Chugwater Lek with a few grouse tracks after fresh snow.And some ARTR in the snow. Actually, I'm not sure if it is tridentata or a different species of sagebrush. AR??

No comments: